Saturday, November 8, 2008

Leaves of Grass

Just past the back of the garden, after the lawn, the boulders around the perimeter and the rosemary that grows on top of them, is a triangular section of dense, wheat-like ornamental grass. It's more than a meter high with beautiful seed heads that wave in unison in the breeze.

The odd bit is that, like the corn field in the film, "Field of Dreams", things go into it and things come out of it. But you never see them go in and then come out. I've watched pets including my own cats dive into it and since they always turn up for dinner I haven't worried. Yesterday I saw three of the neighbors' children gallantly fight their way in, the grass completely swallowing them up. As I continued with my task, namely, washing dishes, I heard their squeals and laughter so I knew they were in no danger. But I never actually saw them come out.

I don't mean to suggest that this is some Bermuda Triangle wannabe. I just cannot escape the feeling that something captivating or at least entertaining is happening there. Various species, dogs, cats and boys disappear, staying gone for quite a while, apparently having a high old time.

I remember as a child going with my friends to a wooded park near our homes. We would pick out a secluded spot bounded by trees where we could play our games. It was an adult-free, intrusion-free zone where for a few hours we were totally happy. I suspect the grassy triangle may be serving a similar purpose. But it will remain a mystery. I have no wish to intrude. Everyone needs a place to get away to now and then.

No comments: