Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Staff of Life


The young people of the kibbutz are raising money to buy equipment, like a new TV, for their lounge. They do this by selling hot, fresh hallah at noon on Fridays. This makes me very happy. Bread always does.

Have you ever noticed that bread is the one thing you can eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week and not get tired of it? There’s a reason for that: we’re hard-wired to love bread. Just the scent of it baking in the oven can inspire rapture. It’s the staff of life.

So you can imagine my consternation when my doctor innocently suggested that I cut my carbs by 20%. Eat less bread? You might as well tell me to breathe 20% less air. Nobody ever tells you to eat fewer cucumbers. It’s only the stuff you really love that you have to give up.

I’m already looking forward to the taste of the dense, sweet, braided loaf tomorrow. Some simple pleasures cannot be denied. I’ll make up the percentages later.

No comments: