Saturday, April 18, 2009

Going Green

It’s been a magnificent spring. The wisteria burst into full bloom just in time for Pesach along with the calla lilies and the bright orange nasturtiums. With the backdrop of the ever-blooming lavender the view from the pergola is very, very pretty.

I love the color purple, and also the color orange. I especially like purple and orange together. It’s a warm, sunset-y combination. When I was a child my favorite color was green (a color I still love but am particular about: primary green or bluish greens are fine, no yellow-greens, olive or avocado shades are acceptable.) The family always obliged by funneling any green artifacts my way. My mother liked to tell the story of my green shoes.

For the family trip to North Carolina, a subject touched on previously in these pages,
I was bought a new pair of shoes in green patent leather. I adored them. But I was told they were for North Carolina and I was not to wear them until then. The trip by car was long and, I’m sure, difficult. Like any five-year-old with an undeveloped concept of time and distance, my conversation consisted mostly of, “Are we there yet?” Finally, my mother announced that we had crossed the state border into North Carolina. At this point I perked up and insisted on my right to wear my green shoes now. I could not be denied, so my father had to stop the car while my mother unpacked the fabulous shoes which were now on my very satisfied feet.

I still remember how happy those shoes made me. But in all the many years and hundreds of pairs since then, I don’t think I’ve ever had another pair of green ones. I find this very sad. So sad that I am now resolved: the next shoes I buy will be green.

No comments: