Saturday, July 19, 2008

Some like it hot

It's high summer in Israel. Not a cloud in the sky. Hot, hot, fry-your-egg-on-the-pavement hot. And humid in this part of the country. I love it. I love being able to open up all the windows and let the breeze waft. I love the sun-drenched greenery all around. Most of all, I love not having to struggle to keep warm.

I am always amazed by the number of Israelis I hear complaining about the heat. I realize it is human nature to complain about the weather. Sometime around January I do it ad nauseam. However I cannot really understand those who long for the cold, gray, rainy days of winter. Considering human origins somewhere in Africa, you'd think we'd all be hard-wired to love the heat and eschew the glacial fjords of Scandinavia. But it's not so.

To me, this weather is glorious. It's a Saturday afternoon and except for an occasional twitter of birds there is not a sound to be heard. No screaming children, no roaring all-terrain vehicles, nothing but complete quiet. I guess it's hot out there. G-d, I love summer!

No comments: